Bangkok gets that sinking feeling

For news and events from Nakhon Ratchasima, the Isaan, Northeast Thailand and Southeast Asia like the neighboring countries Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Burma and Malaysya
KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Do Mai 03, 2007 9:35 am

BangkokPost.com from Reuters reports

Thailand's best known disaster prognosticator said on Wednesday global warming will put Bangkok a metre under water in less than 20 years, adding: "You will need a motorboat instead of a car."

Smith Dharmasaroja, head of Thailand's National Disaster Warning Centre, told the Reuters news agency that rising seas and natural sinking will put Bangkok under water by 2025 - unless work starts now on a huge dyke to protect the capital.

"If nothing is done, Bangkok will be at least 50 centimetres to one metre under water," Reuters quoted Mr Smith as saying during an interview in Bangkok.

Mr Smith gained notoriety 12 years ago when he predicted Thailand was in danger of being hit by a tsunami. Largely dismissed as a crackpot and retired from government service with the Meteorological Department, he was brought back as a disaster expert after the 2004 tsunami, which killed more than 5,000 people in Thailand alone.

The problem, he says, is two-fold.

The city is subsiding at a rate of 10cm per year, partly due to excessive pumping of underground water.

Global warming is causing seas to rise and there is evidence of severe coastal erosion just downstream from Bangkok.

To avert disaster, Smith said, the city needed to construct a massive dyke to protect it from rising seas and increasingly violent storms.

"The system has to be started right now. Otherwise it will be too late to protect our capital city," he said.

Mr Smith, as usual, was scathing when asked about how authorities are facing the threat.

"The government does not pay any attention at all."

Bangkok Post May 3, 2007
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

Isaan Rollie
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Isaan Rollie » Do Mai 03, 2007 10:28 am

Isn't it called the "Venice of the East" already :?:

Naam Jai (?2008)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Naam Jai (?2008) » Sa Mai 05, 2007 6:50 am

I think most of Korat is about 250ft above sea level,but still in danger of flooding if someone take the plug out of the surrounding reservoirs.
Better not to live in the basin then?

KoratCat
Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Sa Mai 05, 2007 8:40 am

Naam Jai hat geschrieben:I think most of Korat is about 250ft above sea level,but still in danger of flooding if someone take the plug out of the surrounding reservoirs.

The experience of having to live with my living room 20 cm under water during the flood around 14 years ago made me aware of better not trusting Thai authorities to guard the plug from being pulled and pile up a mountain of soil under a newly built house. The flooding then was caused by the construction of the bypass where they had congested the waterway with their landfill. :wink:

KoratCat
Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Sa Mai 05, 2007 8:41 am

Naam Jai hat geschrieben:I think most of Korat is about 250ft above sea level,but still in danger of flooding if someone take the plug out of the surrounding reservoirs.

The experience of having to live with my living room 20 cm under water during the flood around 14 years ago made me aware of better not trusting Thai authorities to guard the plug from being pulled and pile up a mountain of soil under a newly built house. The flooding then was "supported" by the construction of the bypass where they had congested the waterway with their landfill. :wink:

Zurück zu „News: Korat, Isaan, Thailand and Southeast Asia“